Thursday 21 January 2016

Bloom Event - Coelogyne Rebecca Howe

Well, here we are again. Another first blooming to report. I got this particular Coelogyne from Burnham Nurseries  last September, just because the tag said it was a Coelogyne speciosa hybrid I haven't got. Apparently, it is a primary hybrid between Coelogyne speciosa subsp. incarnata and Coelogyne rumphii. Coelogyne speciosa i'm familiar with as I have the species and a few of its hybrids and all are strong, robust growers. This hybrid seems no exception, and I am pleased to report that it has just opened a flower today.


The flower is large, sort of the same size as you'd expect from C. speciosa, but sort of daintier which I suppose it must have inherited from its C. rumphii parent. It is obviously going to be a sequential bloomer, just like both its parents. Unusually, it carries a pleasant fragrance which today reminds me of chocolate. Normally I'm not keen on the smell of these hybrids (courtesy of C. speciosa which I don't like the smell of either).  Here's another shot.


I only put a stake in to gently hold the flower up for the camera. Actually, the inforescence is fairly upright although the flower itself nods. I am very impressed with this hybrid. Maybe it just opened as a cure for January blues and I'll rave about some of the other hybrids when they bloom, but.......there's just something about this one. And finally a shot of the whole plant...


Its still only a baby. I think it would be fair to expect great things from this one. In other Coelogyne related news, the newest, Coelogyne Neroli Cannon is growing nicely, and putting out new roots from its new shoot. No flowers this time round, but that's only to be expected. I'm hopeful that the next new shoot will bloom, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment