Thursday 28 July 2016

New Plants - More Coelogyne

I know. I'm obsessed with Coelogyne. A friend of mine has managed to rescue some nice coelogyne species and hybrids and was kind enough to let me have a few plants to add to my collection. He warned me they weren't in the best of conditions when he got them, but that they should recover themselves given time. The first of these is Coelogyne burfordiense. This is a hybrid between C. pandurata and C. asperata so as you can imagine it is a large plant. My plant is basically a collection of potted backbulbs which are now showing signs of growth.


As well as one decent sized shoot heading off to the side, there are two smaller shoots emerging from other bulbs which have definitely appeared since I got the plant. There are signs of rot on a couple of the bulbs which I will keep a very close eye on. I will have to de-pot this to see what is going on under the surface as there are a lot of fungus gnats buzzing around this plant, and that is not usually a good sign.

I was also given two Coelogyne speciosa. I know what you're thinking - I have two plants of this species already, one the regular colour form and the other 'Burnham' (used to be known as var. salmonicolor). The new additions are a dark form and an as yet unknown one. I'll find out when it flowers.



Both of these are showing promising signs of growth now. One has a new shoot emerging, the other a nice crop of new roots, so they should be back to full health before too long. I can't wait to see flowers, especially on the mystery plant!

No comments:

Post a Comment