Friday 11 March 2016

Bloom Event - Coelogyne lawrenceana

Here I go again, posting pictures of flowers I can't technically claim credit for. This plant was already in spike when I got it in a trade with an other Coelogyne enthusiast and very experienced orchid grower. This is a division of his plant, only made early this year, but it has decided to flower regardless. I'm not too worried about it, even though its pseudobulbs are a bit wrinkly. This seems to be a trait of the species, and one it passes on to its hybrids. At any rate, the flowers are among the biggest in the genus. I measured it at 4 inches across, though the mother plant I'm told has flowers a smidge bigger. Hopefully once the plant establishes itself properly (can be a slow process in orchids), the blooms will be full sized.


There is just the one flower on this spike, but there is a second spike to come, which will probably bear more than one bloom. Not that I'm worried about the plant at all, but I will be glad when I see new growth after blooming. I really want this species to do well for me, I love it. It has an interesting scent, not sure if I like it or not, yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment