Wednesday 24 February 2016

New Plants - Delivery from Schwerter in Germany

I have always shied away from buying orchids from off the continent, but no more if this delivery is anything to go by. I spent around £80 (including express delivery) and got 6 flowering size species orchids. I consider this to be very reasonable indeed. They were expertly packed, better than I think I've ever seen, and have arrived here in the UK on Wednesday, having only been sent from Germany on the Monday of the same week. I've taken some photos, so here goes!


Two Coelogyne species; celebensis (left) and merilii (right). Coelogyne celebensis seems to have three shoots growing, which I am hoping will produce blooms in due course. Coelogyne merilii seems also to have three shoots coming, and I see old flower spikes on top of its pseudobulbs which is always encouraging. A friend of mine is green with envy at these.


Sedirea japonica. This is only a small species, looking much like a miniature Phalaenopsis. This plant is blooming size, as evidenced by the start of a flower spike emerging, totally unexpected. Hopefully the journey from Germany won't have shocked it too much and it will continue to develop in my growroom.


Encyclia alata. I have wanted this species for some time, for its long panicles of flowers and strong scent. I think once new roots start to grow I will repot this one as it seems a bit rocky in its pot. Still nice and healthy though. Again, fully blooming size.


And finally, two colour forms of Encyclia cordigera that I've been looking for for absolutely ages. My own plant is a greenish brown colour with a white lip featuring a purple splodge in the centre. I am informed (by google, so to be taken with somewhat of a pinch of salt) that this is Encyclia cordigera var. semi-alba. These two plants should be the pinker form of the species (left) and the fully alba form of the species (right). The plant on the right is a little small, but should bloom from its next growth. Quite often the alba form of a species isn't quite so vigorous, not sure why. The larger plant has a flower spike showing, so I should see blooms in the next couple of months or so. I will be interested to compare the colour forms now I have three. You may gather, I really like this species !


3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the lovely orchid Kevin..now posing on the sideboard!

    ReplyDelete