Sunday 13 December 2015

Bloom Event - Dendrochilum magnum first blooming

I Love Dendrochilum orchids. So very.....botanical...... looking. But without all the fussiness one might associate with botanical specimens.

Dendrochilum magnum really is the giant of the genus, growing to maybe eighteen inches tall or more, looking rather like an Aspidistra when not in bloom. My plants are still young, really, but have reached flowering size this year, after me growing them on for 3 years. They are from a European nursery (purchased as plug plants for very little money, such a bargain), and so are a slightly different form to a lot of the plants of this species in cultivation in the UK. Most growers I talk grow a form with flowers turning an orange yellow colour within a few days of opening. My form opened apple green and has only turned a little lighter.


With the best will in the world, the flowers aren't large, but what it lacks in size it makes up for in numbers and elegance. The spike is upright or arching with the flowering portion dangling down in a chain. This species is also quite strongly scented, and a plant in full bloom will fill a room with a spicy fragrance, especially under warm and humid conditions.

My plants are still young, but are clumping up well, with each plant producing two new growths (at least), and most have produced two inflorescences as a result.


As can be seen, the new growths are surrounded by bracts, making them very attractive even when not in flower (as I mentioned before, they remind me of Aspidistra). While very young, these bracts are closed off at the top, and the newly developing leaf breaks through, closely followed by the inflorescence. Flowers are produced while the new growth is still developing. This species (indeed most Dendrochilum) are rather difficult to get a decent photo of, but below I have tried to illustrate the whole flower spike.


The pseudobulbs are conical to egg shaped and clustered together so older plants produce an attractive clump with many new growths emerging at the same time, resulting in an impressive show of flowers. This species seems a very willing grower, and it looks like my plants will clump up nicely. I grow them warm with constant air movement and really quite a bit of water, especially when in growth. A bit less water when plants are resting, but they don't seem overly fussy. Indeed a bit of extra water while plants aren't growing seems to encourage older pseudobulbs to retain their leaf. Quite happy in medium bark chips, they are reputed to grow better slightly underpotted but I was forced to repot this year as they would have climbed over the edge of the pot if I hadn't!

There is, apparently, some confusion with this species in cultivation, and some plants that are labelled D. magnum are in fact D. latifolium. From what I read, D. magnum is altogether a larger plant, and my plants would seem to fit with that. I encourage my readers to inform me if I do make a mistake.

As a first blooming of this species for me, I am very impressed indeed. Truly one of the orchid highlights of the year. I have four or five plants, so there will be some available for sale/exchange in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment